The Willowdale Group of Artists was formed in 1947 by ten enthusiastic people who liked to paint. They were inspired by Joe Aspery, who was elected as the first president.
The first Annual Show was held in February, 1948. Two years later, the Group held three exhibits at the North York Memorial Hall. These were organized through the Extension Service of the Art Gallery of Toronto. From 1951 to 1959, a three day Annual Spring Show was held at the same location.
The 13th Annual Show in 1960 was moved to the North York Public Library, where it was held for many years. Then in 1981, the Annual Spring Show opened in the newly built North York “Y” where the Group continued to exhibit until 2005.
The Annual Spring Show is now located at the North York Civic Centre. In addition to the Spring Show, the group holds an Annual Fall Show also at the North York Civic Centre.
The objective of the group is to bring together people with a desire to paint, and to provide them with inspiration, opportunities for learning, and support.
THE THINGS THAT WE DO THAT MAKE US THE BEST ART GROUP IN TORONTO!!!
- TUESDAY NIGHT MEETINGS WITH DEMOS AND DRAWING CLASSES
- WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON DEMOS AND WORKSHOPS AT THE BANBURY COMMUNITY CENTRE
- THURSDAY NIGHT WORKSHOPS AT THE EDITHVALE COMMUNITY CENTRE
- FULL DAY WEEKEND WORKSHOPS AT THE HERBERT H. CARNEGIE CENTENNIAL CENTRE
- ANNUAL SPRING AND FALL SHOWS
- SUNNYBROOK HOSPITAL SHOW
- (SOME SHOWS ARE JURIED SHOWS)
- NEWSLETTERS EACH SPRING AND FALL
- WEBSITE PAGE TO DISPLAY YOUR ART AND PROFILE
- ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP CARDS
- DISCOUNTS AT ART STORES WITH MEMBERSHIP CARD
- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING FOR SELECTION OF OFFICERS AND INPUT INTO POLICY.
- ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARTY WITH ENTERTAINMENT!!
- RECEPTION FOR SHOWS.
- WGA ENDOWMENT AWARDS – TO STUDENTS AT YORK UNIVERSITY FINE ARTS PROGRAM
- WGA PRESIDENT’S AWARD – TO A MEMBER WHO HAS MADE AN OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO THE WILLOWDALE GROUP OF ARTISTS.